Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My two favorite Political Ads of All time

Since we're sharing.  







The first is an obvious rif off the "who would you rather have a beer with" question, which played a seemingly vital role in some of Bush's campaign. It does two things though, that, I think, make it a great add. It is an OBVIOUS rif, meaning that the add itself draws attention to the silly reality of the question. This is the same sort of satire of the system stewart and colbert perform every night. Also, it offers a compellingly fresh answer - the amputee.

This has some drawbacks, since he might forever been known as "the midget with the bottle opener arm" but if the point of a political ad is to be memorable as opposed to substantive, then this does a great job.

3 comments:

twisg1218 said...

Very nice. I'd like to ad my favorite to the mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8 (sorry I still can't figure out how to embed in a comment)

Cranky Doc said...

I've missed these -- they're great, I agree. But tell us why you think so: offer a bit of analysis of the ads, in the context of his campaign: what are they trying to achieve? Are they likely to be effective? Any polling data to suggest that? etc.

Steven P said...

The first ad is really perpetuating the idea of is the candidate someone you would like to have a beer with?