Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sharpening the point

I'd like to sharpen the point that I less than articulately made in "backdoor buddies."

One thing that the Internet supplies is access.  Never before has any individual had so much information at his or her finger tips.  I can link from site to site in minutes, or in hours as today's YU network seems to suggest.  I can learn more about government, about what bills are up for debate, who's debating, and what the argument actually is, I can learn that in minutes, lying in a bed, half way around the world.  

In other words, the ability to learn and consequently participate in politics is there.  In fact, it is more convenient to participate in politics than to run across the street to a convenience store.

Yet, although there is great convenient access to the processes of policy, it still does not mean that the process is completely transparent.  Some meetings, I am sure, are being moved to back rooms as we speak, in light technological advances.  Just as terrorists go low tech, I'm sure Congress has gone on to passing notes.  In fact, if I was incredibly cynical, I could argue that the greater the access to information the greater opportunity for manipulation.  

Those are the points I was trying to make earlier.           

No comments: