Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Headlines, Headlines, Headlines

As a former journalist myself, I always find it so interesting just how much you can learn from the connotation, placement, and juxtaposition of a headline.  My personal favorite (which I haven't been able to find again) was a headline that read something like "Israeli's criticized for lacking moral high ground" right above "Natalie Portman to do first nude scene."  Priceless.

Here's an example from today, in reference to one of Obama's "vetters" on his vp search committee.  Personally, I thought James Johnson stuck out like a bad Where's Waldo, a reputed washington insider in a campaign that largely defines itself by not "playing by the rules" so to speak.  So, I can hardly say I'm surprised.  

But, as with this campaign, there are at least two MAJOR ways to cover (or hide) it.  For example, DRUDGEREPORT has this link "Obama's VP advisor resigns" tucked beneath the DRUDGE logo.  It opens to an article pretty much devoid of judgement and editorializing.  

This stands in direct contrast to AOL news.   Which, on its front page, has a massive headline which reads "His Campaign Suffers Setback: Key Obama Aide Resigns."  When I first read this, I immediately thought that either Plouffe or Axelrod had resigned, not some token member of the vp nominating committee.  The AOL article is infused with editorializing, and is surrounded by polls and maps and charts.  

Interesting, huh?  

No comments: